- …a concept based on self-regulation which focuses on evaluation and the
continuing improvement of educational quality.
- …a process by which institutions or programs continuously upgrade their
educational quality and services through self-evaluation and the judgment of
- …a status granted to an educational institution or program which meets
commonly accepted standards of quality or excellence
WHAT ARE THE BASIC CHARACTERISTICS OF ACCREDITATION?
The basic characteristics of accreditation are:
- its prevailing sense of volunteerism;
- its strong tradition of self-regulation;
- its reliance on evaluation techniques;
- its primary concern with quality.
WHY PRIVATE, VOLUNTARY ACCREDITATION?
In general, all educational institutions in the Philippines go through one form of
accreditation – “recognized by the government.” Government recognition is,
however, inadequate for purposes of identifying and determining educational
quality. Thus, private voluntary accreditation provides the opportunity for an
educational institution to attain standards above those prescribed as minimum
requirements by the government.